Friday, July 30, 2010

CORN!

We love corn!
In the summer when corn is plentiful, we eat lots of it. At least a couple times a week. We miss it in the winter months. Well we buy it frozen in bags but I'm trying to cook more and use less packaging. I have tried the freeze method of blanching and freezing the corn on the cob and it turned out fine, but it takes up a lot of freezer space. I have heard a lot about doing it like this so thought I would try it. The recipe called for 32 ears of corn, so I bought 40 being the OCD person I am...............I just can't buy 32 when the sale is 10 for $2.

I know, it's not easy being me!

So I got up bright and early and got to work. How long does it take to shuck and clean 40 ears of corn....about an hour!

That's a lot of corn!
It takes about another hour to cut all that corn off the husks. I used my large roasting pan and I'm glad I did...it was half full when I finished...then I added the butter and half and half.....yes, that IS a pound of butter and a pint of half and half. That is what the recipe called for and I always follow the recipe to the tee the first time I make it and adjust afterward ...if there is a next time, that is. Oh I know I had 6 more ears than they called for, but I knew it would be ok.
An hour later.....golden creamy goodness! That will be a lot of corn in my freezer and it won't take up nearly as much room as on the cob.
Oh, and if you were doing the math, here are the other two ears....LUNCH!

No comments: